Friday 16 March 2012

Up and out



R e b e c c a  H o r n -


I like that Rebecca Horn's work is directly relative to the body. Her constructions are generally extensions of limbs, which bring about a new consciousness and experiences of touch and movement. I'm particularly drawn to Einhorn, (Unicorn) below, which is minimalistic in aesthetic, but really powerful. There's something nice about the piece as a garment, where the body is revealed beneath the harness. And the criss-cross of the straps at the side of the head, which are purely functional.

At the beginning of my Statement of Intent, I stated that I'm inspired by clothes that transcend functional distinction. Perhaps this is a notion in itself to be explored. I've been reading a little bit about Iris Van Herpen, and on one particular write up, there was a quote from her that said something about strongly disagreeing with the principle of form follows function. Which is obvious when you look at her work, but still a meaningful statement to make.












 I r i s  V a n  H e r p e n -




      

Images found at: http://cmk.typepad.com/digitaldeities/dresses/




I often scour through the images on this blog, twisted lamb. I've been following it for a while, and though it can be a little dark for me, the fashion and photography is absolutely mind blowing. Only problem being - they don't always reference the designer. 

I'm starting to think about neck braces.






Givenchy? Chanel?


U n a  B u r k e -

Um. 

Wowww.

I came across this Irish Accessories Designer last night. One of her pieces was featured on twisted lamb, (and referenced!) so I found some more of her work. My ideas thus far are uncannily inline with hers. This quote is directly from her website, www.unaburke.com

Through my work I continually aim to create leather objects which are both visually captivating and technically challenging. They are pieces of wearable art which are indefinable as particular garments, preventing them from being placed into the conventional categories of the fashion industry. They are free to exist just as the objects that they are, interpreted independently by each individual. I use traditional leatherworking techniques to produce these evocative, conceptual creations. In doing this I hope to encourage a new and more modern appreciation for leather craftsmanship and present the possibilities achievable through the use of this material in both the areas of art and of functional design.

I'm reminded of medical braces, prosthetics or bandages when I look at this work. There's something confronting about some of the pieces - particularly those that are sculpted around a contorted form. 










G a r e t h  P u g h -






M u g l e r -

Fall 12, RTW








[All images found at style.com]














No comments:

Post a Comment