Monday 19 March 2012

Body sculpture

Necklace by Torun Hube, circa 1960



Body jewellery from 1967 'Sculpture to Wear' 
Exhibition in London


Pendant body piece by David Watkins, 1975



Designer: Slim Barrett


Lesley Vik Waddell



Body sculpture by Marjorie Schick - 1986

My work is a sculptural statement which is complete when off the figure yet is constructed and exists because of the human body. I am intrigued by the idea that the human body is capable of carrying large objects, both physically and visually; so therefore I often construct forms of a scale which puts the work into a category of body sculpture rather than jewellery. 
- Marjorie Schick



I like this blur between large scale jewellery and body sculpture. I'm curious about contemporary art in the context of fashion and vice versa, where something like 'body sculpture' could be particularly relevant to my research. I also like that pieces like this can be referred to as 'objects' or as Una Burke said, 'stand-alone sculpture', which relates back to my fascination with object / human relationships. Potentially, my starting point is to build a garment out from the neck and shoulder area and to consider other various anchor points on the body.




















1 comment:

  1. Amazing post! .I appreciate your hard work. Thank you for sharing. I have also shared some useful information about
    BodySculpture Pro Review 2022 > on Ossward.org

    ReplyDelete