Saturday 24 March 2012

Project


struc·ture  (strkchr)
n.
1. Something made up of a number of parts that are held or put together in a particular way:hierarchical social structure.
2. The way in which parts are arranged or put together to form a whole; makeup: triangular in structure.
3. The interrelation or arrangement of parts in a complex entity: political structure; plot structure.
4. Something constructed, such as a building.


Interested in exploring the idea of 'body structure' or 'sculpture', I collected a series of images - some of which I'd taken myself, to project onto the body. Some of the images were of architecture or parts of buildings, while others included lamps, light fittings, (objects I'd regarded as 'mini-structures') and 'useless' objects. 

The projector exercise was interesting and some images were more successful than others. Either way, I think it was a good way to consider where some of these shapes could be applied to the body and to enable experimentation with scale. 

I've been developing design ideas in my folio and I keep coming back to the method that was used for my Catalyst project, where perpendicular shapes or panels were inserted into a fitted garment to create an exaggerated, three-dimensional perspective. The projected images alone are also prompting ideas for further exploration. In particular shots, the structure and the body almost become one, where the forms from either are difficult as definitive. The image almost distorts the figure - perhaps a way to question relationships between the body and the object. Otherwise, and on a more emotional level, an expression of our reliance on things; objects; structures; anything that's not human. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment