Wednesday 21 March 2012

Marni & i candy

Y e o n  L e e -

Uses recycled plastic bags to create lavish works of texture, scale and colour. Typically referencing objects that are symbols of status, i.e. - the chandelier, to create a contradictory perception of the humble plastic bag which takes on a new life. The plastic bag holds no monitory value and is the only mass-produced item that can be obtained for free. Lee says she's delivering "innovative meaning to daily consumable object as an art object."

Visually, the installation is really striking, particularly within the white exhibition space. The disposability of the plastic bag has been rejected and rather, the object conserved and exalted as something beautiful, which is an idea that I really like.





M a r n i - 

I also forgot how much I loved Marni. I like that they're about an entire look, where accessory is of equal importance to garment - particular old Marni. The collection that I scattered through this post is from 2009. I've always also appreciated the plays on proportion. No real structure here, but definitely lots of layering and various lengths. When I'm looking at these images, I'm picturing different plastics, almost like a stack of tupperwear containers - all in amazing colour combinations.

I'm starting to look at architecture and also mini-structures within home wears. I found some beautiful light fittings by 7Gods. The pieces are curvaceous and organic; the shapes are amazing. 

I'd like to create my own shapes with plastic sheets or something equally as rigid - perhaps in the same way that I approached my Catalyst project - and then look at projecting them onto the body. I've also been thinking about a plastic neck cuff, maybe it would hinge open. 

Key words / phrases thus far:

Body sculpture
Moulding
Exaggerated form
Plastic
Layers / stacked
Architecture
Body armour
Neck brace
Collecting
Hoarding
Conserving
Glorifying
Leather
Rubber
Synthetic
























No comments:

Post a Comment